cyber day #3

I think Socrates, and Sophists like Protagoras, would start questioning traditional beliefs at this particular point in history because Athens had just lost a major war which left Athens without their empire, wealth, and power. Since this was such a major loss, the people began to question whether their democratic government was truly going to work for them anymore. The loss made them lose faith in their strength and abilities in their government and the leaders at hand. This is when the philosophers decided to question their lifestyles and seek the truth. They needed a new plan and had no idea where to begin, so why not start all they way back to the beginning? Even the great thinkers such as Socrates, the Sophists and Protagoras were contributing, because this is what they had thought about all along, and now they had a chance to help Athens. If I was in Athens in 404 B.C. I would question my beliefs as well. Think about it, all you have ever known and all of your life customs suddenly betray you by not working the same way that they always have. I would be upset, and I certainly would be questioning what I follow and believe in. Athenians had every right to do such because they needed to be strong again, and the best place to start was with the people of Athens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

cyber day #8

cyber day #1

cyber day #14